The Animated Portrait Thesis.

“...portraiture generally has wide public interest - how we perceive and represent ourselves, and the histories that are constructed by our images of ourselves, are endlessly interesting and continually contested.” - Kate M Murphy (1)


This blog is my honours paper, which concerns itself with the connection between human value and contemporary portraiture - particularly that in Australia.

Over the course of this blog I will present my research and reflections regarding the following areas of my art practice: content and meaning, my process, things that have influenced the form of my work and considerations of its community impact.

My honours project, to which this paper is related, consists of making the portraits of a range of people who live in my suburb, Surry Hills, and who come from across the diverse socio-economic of the area. I intend to present them together, each as equally valuable elements that contribute to what the suburb is.



(Jemima Trappel, Sketches from Surry Hills, 2011, drawing media on paper, dimensions variable)

No comments:

Post a Comment